The Lansing Board of Water & Light is a municipally-owned public utility that provides safe, reliable and affordable utility products and services to more than 97,000 electric and 56,000 water customers throughout the greater Lansing area.
Our roots go back to 1885, when Lansing citizens approved building a water system. Electricity was added to our list of utility services in 1892, and steam heat in 1919. Chilled water was added in 2001.
The BWL is governed by a Board of Commissioners made up of eight local citizens who are appointed by the Lansing mayor and approved by city council. The board expanded in 2014 to include three non-voting members representing areas of our service territory outside the City of Lansing.
The BWL owns 2,000 miles of overhead and underground power lines and more than 800 miles of water mains, providing 2.7 million megawatt hours and 7 billion gallons of water to customers annually.