Note: The Republic of Palau is a United States associated state.
The Palau Net Metering Act of 2009 established net metering on the Island of Palau. Net metering was implemented in order to:
1. Encourage investment in renewable energy sources.
2. Stimulate economic growth.
3. Reduce demand for electricity when alternative energy is available.
4. Enhance the continued diversification of the energy resources used in Palau.
5. Reduce fossil fuel imports for electricity generation and increase energy independence.
6. Reduce carbon emissions and benefit Palau's environment.